Recipient of the 2006 Corporate Leadership Award
Schering-Plough Corporation was first established in the late 1800s as the U.S. subsidiary of Schering AG, a German-based pharmaceutical and chemical company. Schering Corporation was incorporated in 1928 in New York City, and in New Jersey in 1935. After becoming a global research-based pharmaceutical firm, it merged in 1971 with Plough, Inc., a worldwide manufacturer of consumer products to create Schering-Plough Corporation. The company has global business facilities in more than 50 countries across six continents with 32,000 employees.
The corporation is committed to improving the health and well-being of people throughout the world, by developing new treatments and programs that assist patients in achieving their best possible outcomes. Schering-Plough works with public and private organizations to improve access to prescription medications throughout the United States and around the world, and an important part of these efforts involves its patient assistance and patient support programs.
The company's philanthropic efforts include charitable contributions to provide funding for innovative health care initiatives, education partnerships and projects, and community outreach programs both locally and globally. The company supports health and educational efforts in the following areas: allergic and respiratory disorders; infectious diseases and inflammation; cancer; and cardiovascular disease. The Schering-Plough Foundation, established in 1955, is dedicated to working with communities to help their citizens enhance their quality of life. The Foundation targets grants in health, education and community initiatives - the latter in social/civic welfare, public policy, culture and the arts, and women and minorities.